|Library Home... About Us... Leatherby Libraries' Descriptions|
Leatherby Libraries' Descriptions
There are 9 separate libraries that comprise the Leatherby Libraries. Each has a distinctive "portal" entrance with a customized ceiling feature. Each "portal" entrance has a computer providing digital information for the disciplines of that library. Each library has the physical collections of the disciplines of that library (books, periodicals, audio visual media, oversize collections.) Each library has 2 group study rooms and one Multi-media preview room.
Ford and Fahmy Attallah, Ph.D. Library of Arts and Humanities
- 2nd Floor. Named by Chapman alumna Donna Ford and her
husband, noted psychologist and author of Beauty of Being
(Chapman University Press), Fahmy Attallah. In this library
is the Thurmond and Athalie Clarke Gallery and the Bert C.
Williams Multi-media Preview Room.
and Dee Henley Library of Social Sciences - 2nd Floor.
Named by Chapman trustee and co-chair of the Library Millennium
Campaign, Doy Henley and his wife, Dee. In this library is
the Class of 2003 Group Study Room. (The Henley name also
appears on the Reading Room accessible from the hallway from
The ceiling portals of these two libraries echo the color schemes of the collections and are designed to have the names of the disciplines silk screened on them in those libraries. They are made of the same cherry wood of the wall paneling, with vertical and horizontal orientations.
Douglas Library of Music - 3rd Floor. Named by friends
of M. Douglas. In this library is the Preston Listening Area,
where students will be able to listen individually to music
on differing media in the open area. There are two group study
rooms, one of which is named the Jack J. and Beverly M. Rimel
Group Study Room, and the Music Multi Media Listening Room.
and Olga Argyros Library of Business and Economics - 3rd Floor.
Named by former Chairman of the Board of Trustees George L.
Argyros for his parents. The ceiling feature here is a bronze
"bowl" suspended from the ceiling embossed with
a map of the world to symbolize international business. The
colors are bronzes, brasses, and "accountant's green".
Multi-media Preview room named by Benjamin and Margaret Clarke.
A business ethics collection will be created through the gift
of Robert Martini.
and Libby Pankey Library of Education - 3rd Floor. Named
for the late trustee Edgar Pankey and his wife, Libby, long
time members of a group known as the Fullerton Growers. Edgar
Pankey wrote Love of the Land (Chapman University Press).
Within this library is the Peter and Mary Muth Library of
Children's Literature, the children's and adolescent material
that serves the teachers in training from the School of Education.
The ceiling feature picks up the paint palette of colors throughout
the building in a design that evokes a mobile, symbolizing
change and lifelong learning. In this library also is a permanent
collection called "Timeline of Toys", given by Chapman
trustee Ralph Tomlinson.The multi-media preview room is named
by Chapman alumna, the Honorable Loretta Sanchez '82.
Onnolee Elliott Library of Science and Technology - 3rd Floor. Largest library on this floor. One group study room and one multi-media room. Multi media room named by alumna Adam and Mamie Yong Maywhort. '78. Ceiling feature is in a cell format made from titanium alloy to symbolize technology and new materials. Color = Purple dots. Library of Congress Call #'s = Q, R, S, T, U, V, W.
and Donna Crean Library of Film and Television - 3rd Floor.
The Creans have given the Library a collection of signed framed
photos of the original 1939 cast of Gone with the Wind that
will be featured in this library. The ceiling feature evokes
the marquee of a movie theater. There are two group study
rooms, one named by two alumni: Doug '72 and Susie '71 Willets,
and the Dr. William E. and Katharina Bradley Film and Television
Sala and Aron Samueli Holocaust Memorial Library - 4th Floor. Named in honor of the parents of Henry Samueli, both of whom were Holocaust survivors, and given by Henry and Susan Samueli. The gray zinc-clad exterior walls of the Library evoke the harsh reality of the Holocaust while the stones surrounding these walls and those on the opposite side of the foyer testify to enduring memory and the power of witness. Within the library are six exhibit cases which display artifacts from before, during and after the Holocaust expressing the themes of lives before, shattered lives, lives confined, lives destroyed, lives rescued and lives renewed. With its lyptus wood bookcases, the Survivors' Room honors those who have devoted their lives to remembrance and witness in the hope that we might create a world where all human beings are respected and all children are protected. The commemorative sculpture on the northwest patio is a tribute to all the children who died in the Holocaust and tells the story of the children of the Terezin who gave of their meager water ration to nurture and sustain a tiny tree smuggled into their ghetto/camp--a tree that now stands 25 feet tall. The Samueli Library will eventually be home to a reference collection of 5,000 books, tapes, CDs and other materials, as well as to a collection of rare artifacts and photographs.
Mt. Pleasant Library of Special Collections and Archives -
4th Floor.. Named for one of the famous Carlisle Indian
athletes of the early 20th century, and Uncle of Joan Mt.
Pleasant Chapman, wife of former trustee Stan Chapman, the
donors of this library. Ceiling feature and colors of this
library evoke the natural colors of nature and the ceiling
feature is an cork "burl" look. There are two offices
in the library, and a large special collections shelving area
that will support the processing of special materials, including
digitizing and creating finding aids. An inner room provides
space for the most valuable collections. This whole library
has a second level of security in addition to the card access
that includes pin codes for each door. There are two named
rooms in the Frank Mt. Pleasant Library of Special Collections
The 1493 Liber Chronicarum (Nuremberg Chronicle) - "The history of the world to 1493" with over 1800 woodcuts, some attributed to Albrecht Durer. Gift of Mrs. Marianna Witt. One of the finest examples of incunabula (cradle books) at the beginning of the history of printing in Europe.
A selection of Schweitzer Letters
The rare bible collection of university namesake C.C. Chapman.
The 1505 St. Augustine's City of God, restored by the Huntington under the direction of Special Collections Librarian Claudia Horn.
University archives of photographs and memorabilia associated with the founding and history of the university.
Chapman University Leatherby Libraries
One University Drive Orange CA 92866