Naming Opportunities – Gifts to the building provide opportunities to permanently recognize and honor the donor or an honoree of the donor’s choosing. The 9 libraries within the Leatherby Libraries have been named and are shown below.
To discuss a gift to the building and naming opportunities, please contact Michele M. Bautista, Director of External Relations, Leatherby Libraries at firstname.lastname@example.org or (714) 744-7623.
Each library has a distinctive "portal" entrance with a customized ceiling feature. Each "portal" entrance has a computer providing digital information for the disciplines of that library. Each library has the physical collections of the disciplines of that library (books, periodicals, audio visual media, oversize collections, etc.) Each library has 2 group study rooms and one Multi-media preview room.
Donna Ford and Fahmy Attallah, Ph.D. Library of Arts and Humanities - 2nd Floor. This library is named by Chapman alumna Donna Ford and her husband, noted psychologist and author of Beauty of Being (Chapman University Press), Fahmy Attallah. In this library is the Thurmond and Athalie Clarke Gallery and the Bert C. Williams Multi-media Preview Room.
Fine Arts Collection: Color = Pink Dots. Library of Congress Call #'s = N.
Library of Arts and Humanities: Color = Red dots. Library of Congress Call #'s = B (except BF), C, D, E, F, P (except PN1990 - PN1999).
Doy and Dee Henley Library of Social Sciences 2nd Floor. This library is named by Chapman trustee and co-chair of the Library Millennium Campaign, Doy Henley and his wife, Dee. In this library is the Class of 2003 Group Study Room. (The Henley name also appears on the Reading Room accessible from the hallway from this library.)
Color = Yellow dots. Library of Congress Call #'s = A, BF, G, H (except HB - HJ), J, K, Z.
The ceiling portals of these two libraries echo the color schemes of the collections and are designed to have the names of the disciplines silk screened on them in those libraries. They are made of the same cherry wood of the wall paneling, with vertical and horizontal orientations.
M. Douglas Library of Music - 3rd Floor. This library is named by friends of M. Douglas. In this library is the Preston Listening Area, where students will be able to listen individually to music on differing media in the open area. There are two group study rooms, one of which is named the Jack J. and Beverly M. Rimel Group Study Room, and the Music Multi Media Listening Room.
Color = Black dots. Library of Congress Call #'s = M.
Leon and Olga Argyros Library of Business and Economics - 3rd Floor. This library is named by former Chairman of the Board of Trustees George L. Argyros for his parents. The ceiling feature here is a bronze "bowl" suspended from the ceiling embossed with a map of the world to symbolize international business. The colors are bronzes, brasses, and "accountant's green". The multi-media Preview room is named by Benjamin and Margaret Clarke. A business ethics collection will be created through the gift of Robert Martini.
Color = Green dots. Library of Congress Call #'s = HB - HJ.
Edgar and Libby Pankey Library of Education - 3rd Floor. Named for the late trustee Edgar Pankey and his wife, Libby, long time members of a group known as the Fullerton Growers. Edgar Pankey wrote Love of the Land (Chapman University Press). Within this library is the Peter and Mary Muth Library of Children's Literature, the children's and adolescent material that serves the teachers in training from the School of Education. The ceiling feature picks up the paint palette of colors throughout the building in a design that evokes a mobile, symbolizing change and lifelong learning. In this library also is a permanent collection called "Timeline of Toys", given by Chapman trustee Ralph Tomlinson. The multi-media preview room is named by Chapman alumna, the Honorable Loretta Sanchez '82.
Color = Dark Blue dots. Library of Congress Call #'s = L.
Onnolee Elliott Library of Science and Technology - 3rd Floor. This is the largest library on this floor that contains one group study room and one multi-media room. The Multi media room is named by alumna Adam and Mamie Yong Maywhort. '78. Ceiling feature is in a cell format made from titanium alloy to symbolize technology and new materials. Color = Purple dots. Library of Congress Call #'s = Q, R, S, T, U, V, W.
John and Donna Crean Library of Film and Television - 3rd Floor. The Creans have given the Library a collection of signed framed photos of the original 1939 cast of Gone with the Wind that will be featured in this library. The ceiling feature evokes the marquee of a movie theater. There are two group study rooms, one named by two alumni: Doug '72 and Susie '71 Willets, and the Dr. William E. and Katharina Bradley Film and Television Screening Room.
Color = Silver dots. Library of Congress Call #'s = PN1990 - PN1999.
Sala and Aron Samueli Holocaust Memorial Library - 4th Floor. Named in honor of the parents of Henry Samueli, both of whom were Holocaust survivors, and given by Henry and Susan Samueli. The gray zinc-clad exterior walls of the Library evoke the harsh reality of the Holocaust while the stones surrounding these walls and those on the opposite side of the foyer testify to enduring memory and the power of witness. Within the library are six exhibit cases which display artifacts from before, during and after the Holocaust expressing the themes of lives before, shattered lives, lives confined, lives destroyed, lives rescued and lives renewed. With its lyptus wood bookcases, the Survivors' Room honors those who have devoted their lives to remembrance and witness in the hope that we might create a world where all human beings are respected and all children are protected. The commemorative sculpture on the northwest patio is a tribute to all the children who died in the Holocaust and tells the story of the children of the Terezin who gave of their meager water ration to nurture and sustain a tiny tree smuggled into their ghetto/camp--a tree that now stands 25 feet tall. The Samueli Library will eventually be home to a reference collection of 5,000 books, tapes, CDs and other materials, as well as to a collection of rare artifacts and photographs.
Frank Mt. Pleasant Library of Special Collections and Archives - 4th Floor. This library is named for one of the famous Carlisle Indian athletes of the early 20th century, and Uncle of Joan Mt. Pleasant Chapman, wife of former trustee Stan Chapman, the donors of this library. Ceiling feature and colors of this library evoke the natural colors of nature and the ceiling feature is an cork "burl" look. There are two offices in the library, and a large special collections shelving area that will support the processing of special materials, including digitizing and creating finding aids. An inner room provides space for the most valuable collections. This whole library has a second level of security in addition to the card access that includes pin codes for each door. There are two named rooms in the Frank Mt. Pleasant Library of Special Collections and Archives:
1. The Aquin Mitsuo Yamagishi Reading Room. This is a supervised area for accessing special collections that includes tables and chairs, a computer, a printer, and a copier. Mr. Yamagishi once taught on the world ship afloat and sent a large unsolicited gift to support the library. He lives a quiet and contemplative life in Japan where he writes poetry and makes paper.
2. The Dan and Sarah Caton Hogan Special Collections Seminar Room. Named by one of Chapman's newest trustees, Sarah Hogan. Shared doors with the Holocaust Memorial Library. Small room for seminars, lectures, and meetings.
Notable special collections that are available for naming include the following:
-The 1493 Liber Chronicarum (Nuremberg Chronicle) - "The history of the world to 1493" with over 1800 woodcuts, some attributed to Albrecht Durer. Gift of Mrs. Marianna Witt. One of the finest examples of incunabula (cradle books) at the beginning of the history of printing in Europe.
-A selection of Schweitzer Letters
-The rare bible collection of university namesake C.C. Chapman.
-The 1505 St. Augustine's City of God, restored by the Huntington under the direction of Special Collections Librarian Claudia Horn.
-University archives of photographs and memorabilia associated with the founding and history of the university.
For more information about the Leatherby Libraries at Chapman University,
Charlene Baldwin, Dean
One University Drive
Orange, CA 92866
To become a supporter of the Leatherby Libraries and its mission to expand library resources for students, faculty, and researchers|
Michele M. Bautista
Director of External Relations
One University Drive
Orange, CA 92866
Phone: (714) 744-7623